ABOUT . . .
The Atlanta Metropolitan Council
The Atlanta Metropolitan Council, NLUS was founded in 1962 as a non-profit, group in support of the sea services and we try to make a difference in matters important to our National Defense. We work hard to Increase awareness of the diversity of the maritime units and the important role our sea services play in our national and regional security and further the understanding that maritime commerce is the cornerstone of our economy.
Our council fulfills the mission in many ways …
- Host informative meetings and gatherings.
- Sponsor visits to our military bases and support significant military associated events.
- Participate in local patriotic events: Memorial Day, Independence Day, Veteran Day, etc.
- Maintain Grassroots Legislative Affairs contacting 12 members of Congress in our area.
- Sponsor the annual Atlanta Navy Birthday Ball every October.
- Have adopted two ships and two units: the USS Georgia (SSGN 729) and the USS Jimmy Carter(SSN 23) and the Undersea R & D Detachment, Navy Operations Support Center Atlanta and Navy Recruiting District Atlanta.
- Provide quarterly and annual recognition awards to top performing sailors and marines at our adopted units and host recreational and entertainment activities for sailors from the USS Georgia.
- Support eight Sea Cadet Corps units. Adult leaders teach a variety of basic skills, military discipline, leadership responsibilities to your people ages 11-17. We also support the Training Ship David A. Enright.
- Present 45 annual “Outstanding Cadet” awards to the best performers at 45 Navy/Marine Corps JROTC units end of school year banquets. We also host an annual awards banquet where we honor all 45 cadets and select the “Metro Cadet of the Year” and runners up.
- Award engraved Navy Swords to the top midshipman at Georgia Tech and Morehouse college.